Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
The future of KoS 
Site Admin

I said I was going to post something with notes on my plans for KoS, so here we go.

The most immediate, short-term goal, is to make the site more presentable. This is well on its way to completion, with only some implementation details left (track down the turn bug, revamp the CSS). CSS includes the layout and stuff, so all the comments about the position of things will be taken care of in that chunk.

In addition to that, I have backend work to do to reprise the database schema in order to impart more order to the data and to allow me to clean up the code quite a bit more. I also want to fit chat into the site properly, which probably means implementing my own chat.

Just the above is, if history is anything to go by, going to take a while to complete. Everything after that is speculation and wishes. These include:

* Better integration of game, replay, and comments. Preferably all on the same screen with better presentation of game comments.
* Better Tetris engine. I have one in progress, but it's not ready yet. It will, however, be awesome in many ways -- it will be smooth on mobile and allow for easy creation of experiments and game variants.
* Node.js backend. This goes with the new engine; at that point, everything BUT the appearance of the site is going to change.
* Competitive framework. Some kind of automated tournament to provide an avenue for both more serious competitive play and also stricter game rules.
* Some kind of casual gameplay. Something to lighten the game up and make it more accessible. Ideas?
* Single player challenges. Competition that isn't direct VS.
* Social network aspects. Imagine a central feed of recently completed games where players can talk about them, fork off diagrams and experiment, etc. Like the replays section mixed with the game comments plus fumen but better :P
* Periodic puzzles/challenges. Something new to come back to the site for weekly or some such.

I'm sure there's other stuff but these are some of the ideas I have for the future. What are you most interested in seeing?

Mon May 06, 2013 5:19 am

myndzi wrote:
* Some kind of casual gameplay. Something to lighten the game up and make it more accessible. Ideas?

Tetris Link! Also, possibly two-person co-op (so 2v2, where you alternate turns with your partner)?

Also, loving all the ideas; can't wait to see them (you've got 2 months, myndzi! Gogogogogogogo) :P

Mon May 06, 2013 3:06 pm

Can you implement an email feature in kos so that players can leave offline messages ? Or , do we have to use the email feature of Tetris Guide for that ?

Thought it would be more convenient if its integrated into kos since you are not in HD anymore and Berry hardly checks his HD account and some regulars of kOS might not join this forum even though they may check the threads as a guest .

So KOS is the most common platform I have with many people.

Mon May 06, 2013 7:05 pm
Site Admin

PM and chat stuff, yeah. Well, guest posting is currently allowed but I've already had spam posts so if I can't do something about them I'll have to disable it. I'll do what I can to make it easily accessible.

Re: 2v2, with the future engine, probably. I'd like to try the team cancel rules with KoS.

Mon May 06, 2013 9:06 pm

silly idea for custom captcha for guest posting: present a mini Tetris field above "submit" with a note "solve for perfect clear" or "do a t-spin" or whatever, and if they fail the post doesn't go through

Mon May 06, 2013 9:20 pm
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]